Going Gluten Free is Easier Than You Think
Imagine if going gluten free is easier than you think! When I began the journey of going gluten free it really was easier than I thought because I had kind of dabbled in it. A few months prior to going gluten free my diet began to change. I was starting to do research on why I felt so poorly each day and it seemed that what I felt might be bread so I started with eliminating this from my diet.
You see I made changes in very small steps, creating these tiny little wins for myself! Each win was just that a step forward and it helped me realize that going gluten free is easier than you think.
So if we stay with that thought today, I am going to give you an idea of the first few actions steps I took so I could be gluten free.
Going Gluten Free Tips
- Like I said I stopped eating bread. Now that might not seem like a big deal however I really enjoy bread, well toast actually with tons of organic, salted butter! Can I get a yummy! So this was the first food that I took action on. I did this fairly easily because I just stopped buying bread or having it in the house. It was just that simple. Out of sight, out of mind. Now if I did go out for dinner, no bread at the table because I didn’t want to be tempted.
- Then I simply expanded the wheat category – No Wheat, I had the small win by eliminating bread, so this made sense and I already had the practice. Now if I went out for dinner this was sometimes a challenge and the way I got around it was to tell my host that I don’t eat wheat. This did work well.
- Then in February of 2012 when I realized that the reason I had to eliminate these food categories was because I was gluten sensitive, the grains and the gluten were next to go. Since this time I have not knowingly eaten gluten, grains or wheat.
- The next things that were eliminated were the condiments, ketchup, bbq sauce, mustard, mayo, salad dressings (I didn’t eat them anyway however if I went out for dinner I would ask for olive oil and a lemon), soya sauce. Here is a LINK to foods containing gluten
- I haven’t been a processed for eater in quite a while and since realizing I am gluten sensitive my eating strategy is only REAL FOOD! This is the norm now in my house. No processed food, therefore no chance of cross reactivity, contamination!
- Then I began to learn about spices having gluten so I removed them.
My point is today that going gluten free is easier than you think. However thinking will be an important part of your learning curve, and simply being aware of what goes into your body! Next time I will share with you personal care products.
For today my goal for you is to pick one food (bread, pasta, ketchup) that has gluten in it and stop! Here is the LINK . Have a win with that and then build on that with another win! You will soon realize that going gluten free is easier than you think!
Share your comments on your wins in the comment section!
Let today be your day! Talk soon,
Here is a Gluten Intolerance Self Test – Click HERE