The Stages of Change – Making a Successful Change
Today we are going to share some more details on tThe Stages of Change. So yesterday I provided you with my story as I began to transform from an overweight young women to a young woman who was in shape. It didn’t happen overnight and it wasn’t about motivation. I went through the stages of change. Today I will go over the stages of change here and hopefully it will help you see where you are and how you can create successful change.
The Stages of Change ( or Prochaska and Diclemente’s stages of change)
- Stage One – Pre Contemplation – in this stage individuals are aware of the health benefits of physical activity and are thinking about a change, however they are not convinced. For success it is vital to make people more aware of the positive consequences of activity. Emphasize the benefits & help them overcome the road blocks.
- Stage Two – Contemplation – Individuals are now aware of their lack of activity & are willing to acknowledge that they need to make a change. At this stage it is important to support the good intentions by re-emphasizing the health benefits and help them find ways to move into action.
- Stage Three – Preparation – This is the most important stage! The planning stage is where individuals evaluate past experience, determine methods of becoming more active and develop an activity plan. Taking the time to create a good plan that meets the needs of the individual. This is the stage where people want to rush from idea to action with no plan for success. A coach is a great resource for starting off correctly.
- Stage Four – Action – Time to get started and get moving. This can be the most difficult stage, getting started with a new program. Once the individual gets started in the new activity on a regular basis it becomes a part of the new lifestyle change. Remember to have fun at this stage.
- Stage Five – Maintenance – at this stage the plan has been implemented, it takes time to become a new behaviour. There is always the chance or risk of dropping out of the new behaviour. Be sure to keep your plan exciting, fun, and with variety. Here is where goal setting , clarity of purpose and your WHY along with Rewarding your WINS will keep you on Track.
Going through the stages of change rarely follows a linear path from Stage one to Stage Five. Many individuals get stuck in the early stages especially Stage Two. In this stages of change model there can be relapses. Often when an individual in struggling with weight reduction, or exercise.
It is important to realize these things so one doesn’t get discouraged or demoralized with the relapse. Learning from these relapses can be a powerful learning experience to fully move toward a success in the goal.
Like I said in yesterdays post when I learned the stages of change it help me understand the process of change. It helped me feel better about my successes and what appeared to be failures. In fact they were not failures they were simply a chance to reassess my goals and continue on the journey of change.
Let me know if this info has value for you on your own journey in the stages of change. Looking forward to reading your comments below. If I can help be sure to let me know that as well.
Be sure to get your copy of Gluten Freedom here by simply filling in your name and best email:
If you found value or have any questions please leave a comment below, Like this post, Share this post!
Let today be your day! Talk soon,
If you are interested in learning about gluten free living as a part of your healthy change lifestyle, you will want to check out The Gluten Summit – A Grain of Truth! Over 100,000 people registered for the event! 29 researchers, clinicians, nutritionists and other opinion leaders all gave their time to this unique event—and shared some of the most incredible things I have EVER heard.
If you didn’t catch ALL of the interviews, especially if you didn’t watch ANY of the interviews, there are simply TOO MANY things I learned from The Gluten Summit to write them all here. You WILL learn at least one thing from EVERY interview…YOU MUST OWN THIS SERIES—it could save your life. Seriously. ORDER TODAY AND GET LIFETIME ACCESS TO THE SUMMIT!
To help you further with your change journey we recommend the 21 Day Total Body Transformation program – The Primal Blueprint is a way of life patterned after the diet, exercise and lifestyle habits of our ancestors. Known as the “evolutionary health” approach, Primal living is all about eliminating the harmful processed foods and high-stress behaviours of hectic modern life in favour of getting back to the basics.
During the transformation program, you will learn how to reprogram your genes to prefer fat for fuel, instead of succumbing to the roller coaster, fat-storage, inflammation-promoting effects of today’s grain-based, high-carbohydrate diets.* We will teach you how to avoid the all-too-common chronic approach to exercise that leads to fatigue, injury and burnout…and provide you with an intuitive blend of low-level aerobic workouts and basic everyday movement, regular high-intensity strength workouts, and occasional brief, all-out sprints.
We’ll help you slow life down, taking time for play, sunlight and fresh air, and adequate sleep. Far from a crash course, the transformation program allows you to efficiently reduce excess body fat* with natural, easy-to-maintain lifestyle changes. Set yourself up for a lifetime of healthy living and effortless weight management with this intensive, comprehensive multimedia program that gives you everything you need to succeed!*
Let me know if this info has value for you on your own journey in the stages of change.